Cyber Security Threats
According to the Ponemon Institute in their study 2018 State of Cybersecurity in Small & Medium Size Businesses (SMBs), 67% of SMBs had experienced some form of Cyber Attack in 2018. Continuums study Underserved and Unprepared: The State of SMB Cyber Security in 2019 found that the average cost of a successful attack on an SMB was $53,987.
Cyber threats are only growing in number and complexity, and no business is safe. Don’t think that your business is too small – every business is a target for hackers. Whether you are a solopreneur or a large enterprise pushing 1000 employees, the bad guys see you as a prime target.
Why are SMBs good targets?
SMBs often don’t have the security infrastructure of larger organizations, making them vulnerable to even the most amateur of hackers. This is not to say SMB security can’t be as effective as the larger organizations but there are key challenges that SMBs face. According to Ponemon the top four key reasons why SMB IT security is not fully effective are:
- Insufficient Personnel
- Insufficient Budget
- No Understanding how to Protect Against Cyber-Attacks
- Insufficient Enabling Security Technologies
Without the personnel, money, know how or technology, SMBs are prime targets.
You are trying to do what you do best – run your business – cyber security can feel like a background task that isn’t as important as the rest of your daily noise. But if you get breached, everything else comes crashing down.
The Solution: MSPs
An MSP is a Managed Services Provider – essentially an outsourced IT department. When you have an MSP, should any of your IT break, you would phone your MSPs helpdesk who would fix your IT issue remotely or onsite. This has many advantages over a permanent in-house IT person such as price, speed to fix, personnel and experience, but an MSP can also augment an existing in-house IT department by taking over routine tasks.
MSPs usually offer extensive Managed Security Services. They solve all four issues that make SMBs good targets for hackers:
- Insufficient Personnel:When you take on an MSP you get access to their entire team of Helpdesk Technicians and Advanced Engineers with decades of experience between them designing, installing and managing IT Security Solutions to protect your business.
- Insufficient Budget:An MSP will work with you to put together a security solution that fits your budget – remember spending on security now prevents having to pay the financial, reputational and operational costs of a successful attack later.
- No Understanding how to Protect Against Cyber-Attacks: An MSP protects their clients all day every day from Cyber Attack. You can trust their expert knowledge and advice. Many MSPs encourage users to alert them of any suspicious activity such as a shady looking email which you would send to the MSP for examination and confirmation.
- Insufficient Enabling Security Technologies:MSPs have large partner networks and decades of experience in designing, installing and managing the security technology your business needs to stay safe.
Is it time for you to take on an MSP?
Continuum found that 81% of its respondents use an MSP, 14% plan to, and 5% don’t plan to.
Where does your business stand in this? Is your SMB facing the challenges that an MSP could solve? Has your MSP let you down and are you looking to change?
Site Tech has over two decades of experience protecting our customers from the financial, operational and reputational costs of a successful Cyber Attack.
- Talk on the phone to establish we would be a good fit
- Conduct an onsite visit
- Send you a quote.
Give our sales team a call at (813) 549-5700 or email at email@example.com
2018 State of Cybersecurity in Small & Medium Size Businesses (SMBs) – Poleman Institute, November 2018 https://keepersecurity.com/assets/pdf/Keeper-2018-Ponemon-Report.pdf
Underserved and Unprepared: The State of SMB Cyber Security in 2019 – Continuum, 2019 https://page.continuum.net/resources/downloadables/white-paper/bf/underserved-and-unprepared-the-state-of-smb-cyber-security-in-2019